Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Shotgun Lovesongs by Nickolas Butler

I have been disappointed in books lately. Or it could be my skittish mind refusing to get hooked but this one was a sight for sore eyes. It is part scenic description of what it would feel like to be from a Midwestern town but not overboard (Steinbeck, anyone?) and it's also part family and friendship. In fact, I'd go as far as to say it could have been written about 4 women as instead of the 4 leading men, Henry, Lee, Kip and Ronny. I don't need to summarize the story but it's just good to know that it's from different points of view, all adding the necessary ingredient to bring the richness to the story, how each of the men's lives mix in and effect each other. We get to see lines blurred and crossed and the aftermath. I have read that some people questioned the ending. It's sort of open ended/abrupt but I didn't think it detracted anything. I loved the writing and seeing what led the characters to where they stood. Do know that it jumps back and forth a bit but it's no confusing if you're a close reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment