Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Glitter and Glue, a memoir by Kelly Corrigan

I lost my mom last year. And I tend to avoid things I can't relate to but with this book I think it's a first step to Step Up To The Plate, as they say. And then, just when I thought it was going to be all lovey dovey me and my mom and this great relationship and everything's perfect--- SMACK wake up!!! It wasn't. It was a story completely different from what I had thought. (I should be used to being wrong by now). It is about mother -daughter relationships, but it's filtered though Corrigan's early adulthood when she went on a trip with her friend and ended up being a nanny for a family that had recently lost the mother to cancer. We don't know a whole lot about the mother but we see in short vignette chapters Corrigans realizations about life and parents and what it means to be a parent. We aren't force fed information about that stuff but rather led gently with a lot of lightheartedness as well as sweet emotional tugging. I didn't cry like I read a lot of reviewers did but then again I kind of have numbed myself to that. It was a quick read, definitely worthwhile whether you are focused on mom-daughter relationships or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment