Monday, January 28, 2013

The Fault In Our Stars (John Green)

I love yoga and thought it was cool and perfect that it became trendy to write about it. But then just because you're interested in something as a subject doesn't mean it's going to make for a good story. But there was a gem or two that I enjoyed a lot but then since I can't remember the names, it says a lot of about the impression they made. Anyway, my point is that some books are enjoyable just because of the subject matter that you're interested in and some books are great because the author is gifted. John Irving comes to mind since I don't really care about apple orchards, tattoo places and how to deal with granite monuments but I adore his style. Anne lamott and Wally lamb too. Some authors can write about the art of mixing paint and I'll buy the book. And then there are those lovely people that aren't big named hollywood types that pump out mass market paperbacks left and right and they do have something to say and lovely way of saying it. Enter John Green. His latest is my first (but not my last) and boy am I glad I finally gave in to what was catching my eye for several months. I'm quite finicky about when I read books. Moods, timing etc. And I'm resistant to a lot of YA. I get bored with the teenage dialogue and feel that a lot of authors, adult authors that write YA books don't get it right. But there was something about the cover that kept me thinking about it even though it dealt with star crossed lovers and their unfortunate cancers. I couldn't stop reading this. Literally. I started Sunday morning and finished Sunday afternoon. I believed in the scenarios. I felt like Hazel and her parents were real. I loved Augustus and wished there were real teenagers like him. And I devoured the quirkiness.. I adored every little thought, mood, complaint, joke, feeling and inevitable ending. I loved the author Hazel had wanted to meet so badly and was so let down. (I have to say that reading the absurd behavior reminded me of john kennedyTools' confederacy of dunces- ignatius j reilly a little and I believe he should be brought back from the dead but that's for another book) and I loved how the pace went swiftly and every assumption and prediction (besides what was inevitable) was proved wrong. I loved that William Carlos Williams' red wheelbarrow was used because I hate most all poetry except this poem and i loved the parents and the dealing with something so real and the topic of death so universal and feared and how it was dealt with, it never really is and we are all afraid of oblivion even if we don't admit it. anyway this book was sad and sweet and not just for the YA population but for anyone who likes to read about life (and all it's video games and disabilities it may include). I didn't cry but i hurt a little in my chest. I didn't want it to end and probably felt a little like Hazel each time she reads her book. I hope in sequel (imagined or otherwise) she finds out what happens to the mother even if she makes it up herself. Oh and Augustus is the kind of guy I would love my daughter to have in her life

1 comment:

  1. I definitely enjoyed The Fault in our Stars and I tried my hardest not to cry while reading it, but ended up bawling at the end.

    regards,
    dwayne of Anchorage Personal Injury Attorney

    ReplyDelete