Friday, September 28, 2012

Wild (Cheryl Strayed)

This is one of those times I wish there were half star options. (goodreads) I would give it 3.5. I loved Tiny Beautiful Things. It was raw, real, dark, funny, insightful and empathic. Wild was.... I still haven't been able to come up with anything to describe. Part of me loved certain parts (the last quarter for instance). And part of me was just trudging on through out of loyalty to the author and my love for her Dear Sugar book. I felt reading it was akin to hiking the PCT. But without the small boots. I did feel as if it was an effort and I sweat turning the pages. Okay it wasn't that bad. But I was disappointed. I felt for Strayed losing her mother. I was raised by my grandmother and lost her at the same age. I grieve to this day. I feel lost and maybe I need a good thrill seeking experience to get me out of my funk. I am glad she did what she did and think it was book worthy but something seemed to be missing. Maybe i'm just a nature-hiking-woodsy person so I couldn't identify with all the descriptions of the hike. I do think that she was probably a little stupid for doing something so dangerous but at the same time it was that danger and unknowing that pushed her beyond what she had ever experienced. And from that stupidity came a crusty layer added on her being that allowed her to discover some things about herself and come into her own.
That's why a book I would have tossed away after the first 65 pages stayed a foot from my eyes and merited the turning of the pages. I am glad I read it. Understand why Oprah had an orgasm over it. And why Ms Strayed is being compared to Ms. Gilbert.

No comments:

Post a Comment