Saturday, September 15, 2012

When It Happens To You (Molly Ringwald)


      
  I was unexpectedly surprised at how good this book was. I mean I'm not a good judge of the short story but I am working on it. When I read about the book it didn't occur to me that it was THE Molly Ringwald but it was the one and only sixteen candles, pretty in pink and breakfast club 80's icon and she clearly has other talents.

What I enjoyed most was that it was like a novel but not really. It was loosely linked stories about a family, a husband and wife who are in the midst of separation. The husband had been cheating on her. We get to see through the eyes of the wife and various other characters that are linked in the strange ways that people are when they try to piece together who knows on facebook comments.

Anyway the writing flowed and I couldn't put it down once I got the first one underway. I love how it was subtitled, A novel in stories because it was. When it happens to you is such a broad statement. It says so much and Molly has broken it down in a way that only an author can who has a keen eye and a way with words. Topics include: adultery, widowhood, children's gender dislike, new boyfriends and children's adjustment.

No comments:

Post a Comment