Sunday, September 30, 2012

This One is Mine (Maria Semple)

Oh Ms. Semple you little minx, I just took in some of the most guiltiest of pleasures as far as reading goes. And I didn't think I would. I adored Where'd you go Bernadette? and I was kind of looking for the same voice in her debut but was turned off by the beginning. I thought oh jeeze. This is kind of cheesy and racist and snotty but something in the writing- the unique snobbery that Semple nailed brilliantly in Bernadette was still there a little in Violet. Basically it's a tale of the Boo Hoo rich white lady bored in her life as a once writer of television in Hollywood but now is a stay at home mom who is more just stay at home than mom since she shuffles little Dot (i just love that name for the baby) with LadyGo the nanny. Anyway, Violet is married to David Parry, an uberfamous band manager or something like that. They have millions but Violet isn't happy. But there is some saving grace in her eliteness that is splashed on each page. There is some likability and so much humor not unlike Bernadette. Violet has an affair and David finds out and all the while parallel to Violet's story is Sally's story, David's diabetic sister who marries a guy for money and later finds out he has asbergers. It was definitely candy for my brain and I enjoyed 99% of it. The tiny 1% being a did wince at a couple parts of the more raunchy bits concerning abortion but I would recommend it to anyone who liked Bernadette and isn't afraid of some vulgarity.

No comments:

Post a Comment