Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The Gift (Cecelia Ahern)


What a bittersweet tale. Cecelia Ahern is a little jewel and has a way of sucking you right in to her whimsical world in Ireland. This one, a Christmasy story, tells of a man named Lou-
(and it should be noted that this book came across to this reader as a Christmas Carol but a very modern Ahern-like way)
who has it all. He has a good job and a good wife and two kids and all that but he's kind of a loser because he's had affairs and is always working and is always looking for the next level to move up to.

He's pretty consumed with success and money so that he pushes his family to at best second place but you see from the get-go that he has potential to be a decent human being and our catalyst comes in the form of a homeless man named Gabe. Gabe sits outside Lou's office building and is very observant. He and Lou have a conversation one morning that prompts Lou to get Gabe hired where he works and thus our story revolves around Gabe being perhaps some sort of magical being who is able to give Lou a glimpse of what he's missing all the while he's toiling away with his work and his interest in casual affairs. Lou is given a magic pill that lets him become two people at once allowing him to be conducting two meetings at once or be at work and fulfill obligations at home.

I love the concept as it always seems that there is never enough time in the day for everything. Lou is given a second chance but it's not an all together happy ending. I was told I would cry and I didn't but I also have a cynical heart of stone so I'm not surprised. JK I did cry when I read the notebook but I dare anyone to read it and not shed some tearage.
I liked this book a lot and it was a cute quick read now en route to a paperbackswap friend.
flag

No comments:

Post a Comment