Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Awakening (Kate Chopin)


Okay so I guess I should say my two cents since I read this and was like "What?" at the end. It's a classic and for such a slim book it says so much. Plus since it took place so long ago (written 1899) I can't imagine the impression it had then if it makes a splash on this reader now. However, overall, honestly, I thought it was just okay. I liked the setting and the French (though I didn't understand any of it) but I couldn't help thinking to myself that Mr. Pontellier wasn't your average husband...as Edna must not have been your average wife. This reader has some questions about the tale told about some people summering at Grand Isle off the coast of Louisiana. We follow Edna as she "awakens" to her life as not being what she wants and we witness her choices and try to understand why she makes these choices. But back to the sub-par husband, Mr. Pontellier.

Why would he let her spend so much time with a man and not really do anything about it? How come he just listened to the Dr. "Oh let her do whatever and let it pass." or dismiss it as her being mental. How can Mr. Pontellier just let her get another house and entertain men etc?

Because of the time period that I wasn't obviously privy to maybe that was the way people were but even in these times of liberation blah blah blah men don't just let their wives to as they please (when it comes to just up and leaving the house and kids and take up with other men- in my opinion of course). But then again I would like to think that women enter relationships with the idea that they want to be in the relationship and if that changes they get out (and deal with any consequences that might result.)

It's just never that easy, I know. There are kids involved and who wants to break up a family? But for Edna she was clear that she wouldn't give up herself for her children but she also couldn't do what she wanted to do which was her idea of freedom. She understood herself to never truly be free and of course we all know where that led her. Or if you don't you might want to read it. It won't take long and it's interesting nevertheless even if you come to think of our protagonist as a selfish little brat who thinks only of her happiness and not wanting to take responsibility for her actions. And then when the thought of consequences does enter her mind she just opts out all together.

Not the most uplifting book but something that I'd like to discuss with other people who have read it just because it's one of those books that begs the question: Do you take responsibility for your choices? And can you live with yourself? Is it love or infatuation? and where are your values?

No comments:

Post a Comment