Sunday, November 4, 2012

Skippy Dies (Paul Murray)

Did I miss something with Father Green??? Anyway I adored this huge brick of a book. Took me a solid 5 days to get through it. I loved the conversations between the boys and the side story about Howard and the slowly illuminating push behind it all. It's basically about boys in a boarding school who are each trying to make his way through life. They deal with parents and grades thugs and drugs and of course, parallel universes. I've always been attracted to nerds and this book bore it all-a little bit relationships, playing the song of a favorite band 100 times over, the need to fit in, the need to obliterate your mind when you're overwhelmed with everything and video games! I loved this book but was a little confused at the end. I think I missed something having to do with the priest and it didn't get 5 stars only because some parts of the story went on a bit long (the halloween hop and the dream drugged interludes) but I loved the humor as well as the darker parts. Can't wait to read Murray's other book, Evening of Long goodbyes cuz I'm a huge fan of Wooster and Confederacy as it's been compared to. I recommend this book but be prepared, it's a dense sprawling read but worth it if you like coming of age tales.

No comments:

Post a Comment