Monday, August 20, 2012

The Age of Desire (Jenna Fields)

      
  This should have been something I loved but for some reason a little over half way through I just couldn't go on. It wasn't that the story or writing was bad but I was just bored. And I got to a point where the little battle in my head of Just Finish The Book vs. There Are Too Many More To Read the nagging of other worlds won. 
The book (from what I have gathered thus far) is about Edith Wharton- famous female author of the early 1900's. It's historical fiction researched to where the author used Wharton's diaries to weave a tale based on her life. We find out that she didn't have the marriage of her dreams and also that she had a governess turned secretary that she was quite close to. 
We learn about both women but the bulk of the story belongs to Edith. Edith married young and according to her she made a bad choice. She grows to pretty much despise her husband who she has almost nothing in common with and who suffers from melancholia.  Edith writes her books and does her thing and comes to meet a man named Morton Fullerton to which she falls in love with. He admires her just the same and the 60% of what I read revolves around their affair. And also that the secretary, Anna, disapproves.Anna also has feelings for Edith's husband but keeps her feelings to herself. 
Sounds really good right? It was.. to a fault. For me there were just too many passages where Edith is just meandering in her head. I'm thinking the author is trying to set up a lot of tension because nothing physical happened until half way through but I just got a point where if that's all the story is about- Edith having an affair- then I'm just like, well get on with it already.  To me, the greatest story (so far in my reading career) that is mostly about tension and suspense in a relationship was Gone With The Wind. I sat on the edge of my seat wondering if Rhett and Scarlet would be finally getting together but this one, maybe i'll regret not finishing it but for now I've moved on.  There are just too many stories calling my name that my brain and heart want to chew on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment